On June 21st, in Brasilia, the EU-Brazil international seminar ‘’Fake news: Experiences and challenges” gathered Brazilian Superior Electoral Court judges, the EU Ambassador João Gomes Cravinho, key experts from Brazil and Europe, as well as representatives of social media platforms. Christophe Leclercq gave a keynote speech during this high-level conference, and 11 articles in Brazil and in Europe have mentioned his views.
The harmful effects of false and misleading information have generated an increasing concern of the Brazilians authorities, especially four months before October elections.
In this sense, the president of the Brazilian Superior Electoral Court (TSE), Luiz Fux, said during this conference that ‘’elections could be cancelled if the results were influenced by massive fake news spreads”.
Christophe Leclercq spoke during this EU-Brazil event and he proposed solutions to avoid all types of censorship, notably by diluting disinformation with more quality news. His speech received wide press coverage in Brazil and also in Europe. You can read the following articles and interviews highlighting his views, published by G1 Globo (the top Brazilian TV channel), and by the EFE Press Agency (leader in Spanish-speaking countries):
– Article and video by Brazilian TV channel G1 Globo:
– Interview with Christophe Leclercq published on G1 Globo, written by Gabriel Luiz:
– Interview by the EFE Press Agency conducted by Andrea Usero and published in La Vanguardia:
‘’Las noticias falsas desafiarán las elecciones en Brasil’’ (”Fake news are challenging Brazilian elections”)
– Articles by the EFE Press Agency:
– In particular, this article by Eduardo Davis from EFE was republished by 6 media outlets:
News4Europe – European Pressphoto Agency: More info is answer to fake news, European journalist tells Brazilians
Global News 10 – Spain: El periodismo es la mejor arma contra noticias falsas, según la UE y Brasil
La Republica – Ecuador: El periodismo es la mejor arma contra noticias falsas, según la UE y Brasil
– Summary published by the Brazilian Tribulal Supeiror Eleitoral, the conference organiser:
You can also read here the interview by G1 Globo (Para vencer fake news, especialista europeu aposta em mais cooperação e menos acionamento da Justiça, by Gabriel Luiz), which was conducted in French: ‘’Pour contrer les fausses informations, un spécialiste européen parie sur plus de coopération, tout en ayant moins recours à la justice”
Want to know more about disinformation? If so, read more articles here:
- Lutte contre la désinformation : une stratégie européenne et francophone
- Disinformation: how should Europe prioritise its to-do list
- My Net Take: “Avoid censorship, dilute fake with quality news”