Europe’s Media Lab is a series of events designed to enrich the conversation on the sector’s needs at EU level among media professionals and policy makers. It is a one-in-5-year opportunity to have a healthy media sector as an “EU priority”.
Europe has a key role to play in ensuring the right ecosystem for a healthy media sector, notably: evening out the playing field with social platforms, safeguarding the right to expression, allowing favourable taxation for the media, as well as other direct and indirect measures. Europe’s media sector is facing unprecedented challenges today. For this reason, the credibility and viability of quality journalism, and the sustainability of the media sector as a whole are at stake.
I) June 2019 – #MEDIA4DEMOCRACY
Meet new MEPs and inform them about the media sector’s needs
> Networking event for MEPs – 04/06/2019
On Tuesday June 4th, in cooperation with EU40 and Frank Schwalba-Hoth, we organised a networking event for MEPs: #MEDIA4DEMOCRACY at the European Parliament (see the programme). The aim of this event was to raise awareness on the central strategic role media policy will play in the new Parliament.
- Welcoming words given by hosting MEP (Franc BOGOVIČ – EPP, SL)
- Few words on #Media4Democracy by Christophe Leclercq, founder of EURACTIV Media Network and Fondation EURACTIV
- Awards for deserving MEPs who worked on media issues + Video coverage, interviews with attending MEPs and pictures
> Policy forum – 25/06/2019
On June 25th, the policy conference ”Europe’s Media Lab – #Media4Democracy: ‘VP Democracy’ for Sound Platforms & Independent Media” will involve 10 speakers representing the EU institutions, the media sector, as well as associations and think-tanks (read the draft programme):
- 100 participants: policy makers (including new MEPs, key officials and Commissioners’ cabinets) and media stakeholders
- Editorial video coverage (example: “Can the EU do more for a healthy media sector?”)
- Communication campaign with supporters’ logos
II) November 2019 – Innovation Forum
Bottom-up policy, learning & input, match-making
This second event will be an interactive session: a “market of ideas” allowing MEPs to meet media start-ups and testing ideas among policy-makers, MEPs and media leaders.
- Small tables by media stakeholders with policy-makers, notably on “policies for supporting media innovation”
- Option: in combination with EP-triggered pilot project on “rising stars for the media”, selecting ca. 100 media innovators
- Small stands for innovators, color-badging (offer & needs)
- Rebalancing the media & digital ecosystem;
- Funding innovation & upskill media professionals;
- Trust & quality news;
- Monetising digital news & developing sustainable business models.