Europe and its media in crisis, what are the problems are where are the solutions?
The #Media4EU editorial series interviewed more than 30 media experts from six countries about the parallel between the crises facing the sector and those facing Europe itself, as well as ways to foster better cooperate.
The series is a result of a cooperation project between Fondation EURACTIV and the Université Libre de Bruxelles (Institut d’études européennes).
Several issues feed discussion at European level too: fake news and populism, shrinking business models, and the review of the Digital Single Market. Solutions could include a strategy for the media sector, dealing with Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon (GAFA) dominance, cooperation across borders, and exchanging media professionals.
- Media4EU: Editorial project and research for Erasmus4media LinksDossier | #Media4EU 23 mars 2017 During the #Media4EU editorial series more than 30 media experts from six countries were interviewed about how the sector can overcome its crisis. This LinksDossier refers to all the interviews that have been published, as well as a bibliography of relevant …
- Erasmus4Media: Exchanging media professionals could solve sector’s crisis News | #Media4EU 22 mars 2017 European media organisations have responded to the sector’s crisis by focusing on domestic markets, while online platforms confirm their global vocation. But what if the key to success was more cooperation?
- Wanted: New revenue models for European media News | #Media4EU 21 mars 2017After the death of the print advertising model, news outlets are struggling to find sustainable solutions to fund quality journalism. Most publishers now diversify their activities by organising events, trying out new formats and forging long-term partnerships with the private sector.
- Should the EU have a media policy? News | #Media4EU 21 mars 2017 Experts in mainland Europe are counting on the EU to solve the crisis facing the media and have proposed measures varying from regulatory support to innovative programmes. But on the other side of la Manche, even pro-European outlets are sceptical about EU involvement.
- How traditional media can beat populism on the web 2.0 News | #Media4EU 20 mars 2017 There is a dire need for the traditional media to change radically so that it can compete with social platforms in today’s information market and counter populist propaganda effectively.
- Challenges facing the EU media sector News | #Media4EU 20 mars 2017 The media sector in Europe is faced with a crisis of legitimacy, according to media experts from six different countries. Other challenges include concentration movements, misinformation about Europe and what EU reporting will be like after Brexit.
- Polish media caught between government, advertisers and Donald Tusk News | #Media4EU 13 mars 2017 The Polish media sector is struggling to innovate under increasing government pressure. Three leading publications from different parts of the political spectrum explained some of these tensions during the #Media4EU series.